Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thanking Teachers

I like to thank the teachers who guide my kids through their educational journeys.
This year, I let the kids choose a gift.  I want the gift to be useful and remind them of my child.  This last week of school, my kids have been pretty emotional and excited.  Ella is really worried about missing Ms. Chris - she's been enrolled in her Montessori preschool for 2 years, so this impending goodbye, has been stressing her out!  She is worried about Kindergarten and not sure about the big new school she'll be attending.  Her fears have been eased a bit, knowing Peter and Gracie will be right down the hall from her.  I may be having a harder time saying goodbye to Ms. Chris.  We've been on this journey with her since her school opened and Gracie started there when she was only 4!  I really can't say enough about our experience with Montessori and I am so grateful for a teacher who guides our children's natural curiosity and helps them realise their own momentum for learning.  Ms. Chris always comments on Ella's fancy rainbow striped socks.  When I asked Ella what we should give Ms. Chris, she suggested giving her the socks.  While that is sweet, I asked if I could knit Ms. Chris some new socks - Ella chose a very fancy rainbow striped yarn, to remind Ms. Chris of Ella.  That's lots of work for Mommy, but totally worth it and I am confident Ms. Chris will always be reminded of Ella when she slips these on!

Gracie is in the same situation.  At her school 1st and 2nd graders are in a class together. So, she's had her teacher, Mrs. Kendal, for two years as well!  She's sad to say goodbye - and has been very emotional about this last week of school.  She's excited about 3rd grade, but really loves her class this year.  When she heard of Ella's rainbow socks, she decided to pick a purple striped yarn.  (lots of stitching going on around here).  Mrs. Kendal always comments on Gracie's homemade lunch bag, and has hinted that she'd like a bag too - So, I've also made her a 'grading papers' tote bag.  Both of these gifts will definitely remind her of Gracie - and I can imagine they'll be useful too.

Peter has mentioned that he'll miss Mrs. Stefanie, but he is so excited for summer vacation, I'm not sure he'll be too sad to say goodbye.  He asked last week if he could try just going to Sunday School for 1st grade.  I wasn't sure what he meant, but he explained that he could just go to 1st grade one day a week, then he'd have a LOT more time for playing!  I agree, that would be a lot more time and a lot more fun.  I asked him what he'd like to give his teacher, and he chose Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants.  He listens to it constantly, and he really wanted his teacher to learn all the songs so she can teach the next class. (he's always thinking!)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for always being generous, and teaching your kids the same, Jenn!

    Love you;
    Dad

    ReplyDelete